I had the great fortune to cycle across America on a self-contained bike trip from Oregon to North Carolina. I was not an avid or experienced cyclist before the adventure, but the cross-country adventure seemed worth the attempt.
I bought a touring bike, gear, maps, and plane ticket. I took a 90 day sabbatical from work and flew out to the west coast. 4,500 miles and smiles later, my bike tires rolled into the Atlantic Ocean.
Some quick facts about my bike across America adventure:
- Roughly 4,500 miles cycled from Astoria, Oregon to Topsail Beach, North Carolina.
- 80 days total.
- 56.25 miles per day.
- Never had a century, a 100 mile day.
- 11 US states (Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina).
- 15 blown tires between two bikes.
- Over $4,000 raised for NC student scholarships
- Total cost, including bike and airfare, roughly $4,200.
Below you’ll find articles that will help you plan, pay for, and succeed on a bike trip across America.